About Me

My photo
I'm Fred. I arrived on the scene in 2002 in a paper bag. I was given as a birthday present. I live with "Him" and "Her". I spend a lot of time on my shelf above their bed thinking. We also spend quite a lot of our time on our Narrowboat "Jophina II" . My blog is about my thoughts and experiences.

Friday 24 September 2010

The world did not end last night ...but the Homework got done!

I’m pleased to report that the world didn’t end yesterday! It wasn’t foretold that it would I hasten to add (that is some date in 2012 I am told) but it had the capacity to. What was this world event that shook the globe and sent millions into a frenzy. Was it President Obama’s address to the UN or some terrorist event? No. ….FACEBOOK CRASHED! Not once but several times and in the UK was “out” for most of the evening causing anguish amongst millions of teenagers ( and adults) and no doubt a massive increase in the usage of other social networking sites and the mobile phone companies dealing with a surge in text messages. I imagine that the ether was so full of Tweets that the birds couldn’t hear themselves think. Mind you the homework got done.

The irony in all this is that is that the movie The Social Network is about to be released in the US and there is a scene in which the network has a near meltdown as an investor threatens to pull out and the servers are threatened with being closed down whilst Jesse Eisenberg, playing a young (!) Mark Zuckerberg, fights to save his dream. But is it irony? Some might say that the real world shutdown of Facebook yesterday has drawn significant attention to the movie.

Incidentally Mark Zuckerberg (26) was recently named by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s richest men worth $6.9billion based on the value of his shares in Facebook. According to my bear brain though, if Facebook doesn’t work then those shares aren’t worth anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

WebRing

Navigation by WebRing.