About Me

My photo
I'm Fred. I arrived on the scene in 2002 in a paper bag. I was given as a birthday present. I live with "Him" and "Her". I spend a lot of time on my shelf above their bed thinking. We also spend quite a lot of our time on our Narrowboat "Jophina II" . My blog is about my thoughts and experiences.

Thursday 23 February 2012

The Louth Canal

A few days ago, whilst waiting for the car to be serviced , He went for a walk along the Louth Canal in Lincolnshire.

The canal opened in 1770 and linked the market town of Louth with the Humber Estuary at Tetney about 11 miles away. The main outbound cargo was wool. The canal ceased to carry working boats in 1924 and gradually fell into disrepair although the River Lud ensures it is still in water. It is far from Navigable today but it is obviously well cared for and is very pleasant to walk along with plenty of wildlife. There are plans to eventually restore it by the Louth Navigation Trust.


He walked from the Riverhead Warehouse in Louth to Salter Fen Lock and saw the remains of five of the eight locks. One of these, Willow’s Lock, was in better condition than the others and showed that curved sides which these locks had.

It was a good walk and following some food shopping in some of Louth’s interesting shops he collected the car and was home by lunch.
 Willow's Lock


Riverhead Warehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment

WebRing

Navigation by WebRing.