About Me

My photo
I'm Fred. I arrived on the scene in 2002 in a paper bag. I was given as a birthday present. I live with "Him" and "Her". I spend a lot of time on my shelf above their bed thinking. We also spend quite a lot of our time on our Narrowboat "Jophina II" . My blog is about my thoughts and experiences.

Thursday 16 September 2010

Bottom Blacking!

Now that the title has got your attention, I should perhaps explain that this is not another example of cruelty to bears, but a ritual which has to be performed on narrowboats from time to time.

Last Thursday he and I set off from Clayworth in the afternoon and travelled down the Chesterfield Canal to where it meets the Trent at West Stockwith. Early on Friday morning we headed out of the lock onto the Trent and 5 1/2 hours later we arrived at Cromwell Lock near Newark which the limit of the tidal river. After another hour and a half we moored up in Newark itself where She and C joined us. We had a leisurly cruise up the Trent on Saturday to moor up for the night outside County Hall in the city centre. On Sunday we carried on to Trent Lock on the Erewash Canal. In the afternoon She, C and I went home by car whilst he stayed on to see the boat safely into the the dry dock the next morning.

We are off again later today to bring the boat back, this time with L and Nik.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WebRing

Navigation by WebRing.