About Me

My photo
I'm Fred. I arrived on the scene in 2002 in a paper bag. I was given as a birthday present. I live with "Him" and "Her". I spend a lot of time on my shelf above their bed thinking. We also spend quite a lot of our time on our Narrowboat "Jophina II" . My blog is about my thoughts and experiences.

Wednesday 18 August 2010

The trip continued

On Sunday he got up early and set off at 0730 down the New Junction Canal. As he didn't have a crew (apart from me) he had to do all the Lift Bridges and Locks himself. By lunchtime we were in Thorne where L and her boyfriend Nik joined us. He was grateful for their help.

We got to the Vazon Railway bridge near Keadby by about 4pm only to find that it was out of order. This bridge is now unique in that it carries two railway tracks across the canal and slides diagonally to allow boats to pass. Anyway, we had to wait for Network Rail to fix it and eventually got to Keadby at 8pm.

We then went home for a day and returned to the boat on Monday night. Yesterday (Tuesday) He and C went through Keadby Lock on to the tidal Trent to West Stockwith where he made a bit of a mess of getting into the lock. He says he misjudged the wind and tide but when He shouted "Hold on" I knew it was time to hide. We made it and after five more hours we reached out home mooring at Clayworth where we were picked up.

River Trent - M180 bridge

Chesterfield Canal

No comments:

Post a Comment

WebRing

Navigation by WebRing.