About Me

My photo
I'm Fred. I arrived on the scene in 2002 in a paper bag. I was given as a birthday present. I live with "Him" and "Her". I spend a lot of time on my shelf above their bed thinking. We also spend quite a lot of our time on our Narrowboat "Jophina II" . My blog is about my thoughts and experiences.

Tuesday 27 July 2010

A long day.

We set off quite early this morning from Thorne. At Bramwith we joined the New Junction canal which is one of the more modern canals in the country. It is 5 1/2 miles long and as straight as a die. Mind you there are several swing/lift bridges and one lock to keep the crew occupied. This is a guillotine gate at the south end.



Then it was onto the Aire & Calder. Passing through Ferrybridge this bridge once carried the Great North Road (A1).

Much of this area is given over to coal mining and power stations - the two of course going hand in hand. Many of both have closed down but some remain. In former times coal was transported from the colliery to the power station using Tom Pudding compartment boats which were towed in "trains" and then unloaded by lifting them up and tipping out the coal.
FERRYBRIDGE POWER STATION


TOM PUDDINGS

SITE WHERE THE TOM PUDDINGS WERE LIFTED



All in all 9 hours travelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WebRing

Navigation by WebRing.