About Me

My photo
I'm Fred. I arrived on the scene in 2002 in a paper bag. I was given as a birthday present. I live with "Him" and "Her". I spend a lot of time on my shelf above their bed thinking. We also spend quite a lot of our time on our Narrowboat "Jophina II" . My blog is about my thoughts and experiences.

Wednesday 27 January 2010

Teddy Bears Picnic - A good day out....NOT

A couple of years ago She was involved in organising a fund raising event for the local church. It was advertised as a Teddy Bears picnic and on the face of it looked like a good day out. Traditional games, a toymaker, a storyteller, tombola etc; you know the sort of thing. Then the bombshell. She told Him that she had also arranged a Bear parachute drop from the church tower where people could pay (PAY!!!!!) to have their bear chucked off the tower attached to whatever excuse for a parachute their owners could conceive. I was furious and in fairness He was too and He made representations but to no avail.


The fateful day came and I was so disheartened to see fellow bears being humiliated and put in mortal danger. One ended up on the church roof and had to be dislodged with a pole and another, in a desperate attempt to avoid the drop, admitted to being gay but to no avail - they threw him off anyway.


I, however, aided and abetted by loyal friends who until now have been anonymous for fear of reprisals set up a peace camp outside the church in a protest. This really raised the profile of Bear's rights and I am hopeful we can prevent such a thing happening again although I am dismayed that similar events are held all over the country. We have much work to be done.



I've got a pictre of me in the peacecamp somewhere - I'll post it if I can find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WebRing

Navigation by WebRing.