About Me

My photo
I'm Fred. I arrived on the scene in 2002 in a paper bag. I was given as a birthday present. I live with "Him" and "Her". I spend a lot of time on my shelf above their bed thinking. We also spend quite a lot of our time on our Narrowboat "Jophina II" . My blog is about my thoughts and experiences.

Sunday 4 December 2011

Oberammergau

Earlier this year we (Me, Him and Her) went on holiday to Germany in the car. It was the first holiday they had had without their children for a long time so I was honoured to be taken too. They went to Oberammergau where the passion play is staged every 10 years. In those years the town apparently becomes very crowded but they had an altogether more civilised experience. This was not one of those years and whilst we were there we went walking in the mountains (I was safely tucked away in a rucksack!), visited Linderhof Palace and generally soaked up the atmosphere and beer of the Bavarian Alps.

Linderhof is one of several palaces built by King Ludwig of Bavaria who I conclude was totally mad! He styled Linderhof on the Palace of Versailles in France but it is much smaller with only half a dozen rooms. The gardens are fantastic with several buildings including a Moroccan House, a Moorish Kiosk a Hunting Lodge and perhaps most eccentric a Venus Grotto.  The Grotto is not naturally occurring but he had it carved out of the rock and elaborately decorated and lit. It is complete with a lake and Ludwig staged plays there for his entertainment.  He’s an interesting character and well worth reading about. Eventually the poor chap committed suicide in the nearby lake.

Our journey to and from Oberammergau took us through France, Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium. It has to be said that the motorway network is fantastic and less crowded than our own although there was a fair amount of congestion in Germany. Apart from the tolls in France which soon mount up the standard of driving was very good and much better than in Britain; in particular I couldn’t help but notice from my vantage point in the back of the car that there was almost no outside lane “hogging”. In Britain there seems a reluctance to move to the middle and inner lanes after overtaking meaning that the outside lane of motorways are always clogged which in turn encourages some drivers to undertake. This simply doesn’t seem to happen in France and elsewhere.
Here are some photographs of the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment

WebRing

Navigation by WebRing.